Martin, Winnie, and Libby - The D'Andrea Pack

The D'Andrea family grew by leaps and bounds on February 23, 2005 when Martin Edgar was born. We grew again on June 20, 2007 with the arrival of Winston Raphael. And now we've got a softer side with the introduction of Elizabeth Wren on April 26, 2009. Enjoy our adventures!

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

All Work, Some Play

I'm coming to get you

Now that Martin's a big one year old, I figured it was time for him to get to work. Since he was the one making all the messes, I set him down on the floor and told him to get cleaning. I've found that his petite stature and low ground clearance is perfect for finding dust bunnies I never knew I had. Actually, I did know they were there, but I thought I had them safely hidden. I've learned that nothing is safely hidden from an inquisitive toddler.

Martin seems to excel at tasks related to the floor, because, well, that's where he spends all his time. He's fascinated by the vacuum, so much so that I have to lock him up in kiddie prison (his crib) with Elizabeth while I vacuum or else risk sucking up one of his chubby little paws. He's also a whiz at un-mopping. Don't know what un-mopping is? Martin would love to come over to your house to demonstrate. Basically, un-mopping involves finding soggy food chunks that had previously been part of his last meal, and smearing them across the floor. When mixed with a little glee-induced drool, the end result is a fabulous sheen of muck on the floor. Martin's a pro at un-mopping, which, in turn, has made me a pro at mopping.

Martin's favorite chore is dusting the floor, as seen here. Get to work, Martin!


Martin has also assigned himself the chore of learning to use a spoon. He's got a long way to go, but he's really throwing himself into the task, as you can see here.
Utensils are such hard work.

Lest you think Martin is living in a child labor camp, I have also included a few pictures of Martin at play. Martin got a sweet tricycle for his birthday from Grandma and Grandpa Roach and it was love at first trike. The trike has a cool pushbar and rear wheel steering, so I do all the driving while Martin rides along. He absolutely adores his trike. We trike to the mailbox, trike around the block, trike at the park, trike through the living room. Here's a picture of Martin in trike euphoria and a little video so you see the trike in action.


Best birthday present ever!

Today we went to the park for a while and while he climbed, crawled, and slid, I watched closely, amazed at the transformation he's undergone in just one year. It's hard to believe that a year ago Martin was just 12 days old and barely sentient. Now he's a real boy. It just floors me every time I think about it.
Such a big boy...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for sweeping and sliding! By the way, G and I went to the park yesterday. I took a picture of her in her park gear...I'll post it tonight, but let me just say that we are SOOOO JEALOUS to see Martinsky in shorts!!!!! Looks like you guys are having a blast! It really is amazing how far they've come in a year. :)

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops...that anonymous comment is from Basia...it saved before I got a chance to type my name. User error!

9:52 AM  
Blogger ZParents said...

Martin sounds like the perfect companion for some door to door mop sales! "Wanna see this mop in action? Martin -- please un-mop these floors so we can show them what REAL sparkle is!"

10:57 AM  
Blogger Svoboda Family said...

Martin, when you're done, wanna come help clean my house?

Luke

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic....

We loved the moving and sound picture. It gives us the idea of how Martin is growing day by day... It is a suprising way to follow his growth, specially for us who are miles away.

Depois dizem que é o terceiro mundo que explora o trabalho infantil ... (ha, ha, ha!!!)

Aproveitando, gostaríamos de mandar os parabéns e desejar ao Martin (e aos país) toda a felicidade pelo aniversário de um ano (com roupa de cowboy e tudo). Deve ter sido uma festa emocionante e divertida.

Cheers,

Tia Lúcia, Tio Dé, Melina , Leonardo e Camila !!!

9:23 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Happy birthday Martin! Please thank your mommy for the very sweet card she sent! We enjoy following your blog too :)
Love,
Kelly Hobbs

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

all work, some play, no content?

publish or perish!

i love you all. let's have lunch.

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home