Martin, Winnie, and Libby - The D'Andrea Pack

The D'Andrea family grew by leaps and bounds on February 23, 2005 when Martin Edgar was born. We grew again on June 20, 2007 with the arrival of Winston Raphael. And now we've got a softer side with the introduction of Elizabeth Wren on April 26, 2009. Enjoy our adventures!

Saturday, February 11, 2006

A Tale of Two Sleep Sacks... Or, On Why I am a Terrible Mother

Modern infant torture tools

Ever since Martin moved out of his Miracle Blanket back in May of last year, he's been sleeping in a sleep sack. The sleep sack is described as a "wearable blanket" and is supposed to reduce the risk of SIDS by keeping fluffy, cozy blankets (also known as death wraps) out of the crib. As Martin has grown over the past year, I have kept saying that I needed to get him a new sleeping bag since he was outgrowing the only one he had, but Babies R Us is so far away and they're the only people that sell the darn things, as far as I can tell. Anyway, I finally had a chance to go to BRU earlier this week and I bought Martin a new sleeping bag in his size.

When we got home, I opened up the new sleep sack and was appalled to see how big it was! As you can see in the photo, the sleep sack I'd been cramming him into for the past 8 months was clearly too small for my boy. Poor Martin! I just thought he had exceptionally broad shoulders. I now think I know why he's slightly undersized for his age - his growth has been restricted by his teeny sleep sack. They say fish grow to the size of the tank they're in. Could Martin's petite stature be the result of his constricting sleep sack? Only time will tell. I'm such an awful Mom...

On a happier note, Martin got a new tooth this week! No pictures yet, but as soon as I can capture the front top left chomper, I will post it. The right one seems to be on the move too, but it hasn't poked through quite yet.

Here's a picture of Martin joyfully surveying his kingdom. See you next week!
Minions, get ye back to work!

6 Comments:

Blogger ZParents said...

If you just let him sleep in an adult sleeping bag NOW, he'll soon be the next Andre the Giant!

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't be silly. You are the best mom ever. He is perfect size.

Aunt Lissa

1:56 PM  
Blogger j.w.cohen said...

Did you tape the sacks to the wall for the photo shoot??

Did Martin's dad dress him for the photo?? I understand he favors the "au natural" look.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Erin & Arthur said...

No, we have no gravity in our house, so I just flung the sacks against the wall and they stayed put. As for dressing Martin for the photo shoot, I think I may be guilty of leaving him nekkid. This was taken after he put up a particularly vigorous fight during a diaper change. I think I gave up once I got the business end covered up.

10:26 AM  
Blogger The Stovalls said...

Aren't sleep sacks great?! In our house we call Aden's the "stink sack" though. You know a little gas at night that can't escape . . .

11:43 AM  
Blogger Erin & Arthur said...

Ooo, I never even thought of that! They totally hot box themselves all night long, poor boys.

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home